North-South Environmental Inc. (NSE) is a small (8-10 staff) environmental consultancy established in 1999. We work with private and public sector clients, and to a lesser extent with NGOs, to assist them with a wide array of environmental projects. Office culture is important to us. Our office philosophy has promoted a friendly, informal atmosphere that emphasizes and values mutual support and a team approach to completing projects. Strong technical understanding is emphasized as an essential foundation to sound analysis and defensible conclusions.
We are currently looking for:
As a junior-intermediate team member, you will fill technical project roles and have opportunities to develop project and client management skills. You will be expected to have a good foundation of field skills in one or more specializations (e.g., plants, birds, amphibians, insects, fish and fish habitat) and to contribute to coordinating field programs and report writing. You will possess strong interpersonal skills, be a supportive team member and be flexible to accommodate field survey schedules and project deadlines.
You can find out more about us on our website: www.nsenvironmental.com.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Technical project roles, including:
- Background collection and review of existing literature/reports
- Flora and fauna field surveys (planning and execution)
- Data management
- Technical analyses
- Policy interpretation, conformity assessment and implementation
- Report preparation
- Fulfill technical role(s) on a range of projects, which may include:
- Environmental Impact Studies/Assessments
- Management plans
- Natural heritage system planning & policy support
- Environmental inspections
- Species at Risk screening reports
- Monitoring programs
- Implement field programs, for example, breeding bird surveys, reptile surveys, amphibian breeding surveys, vegetation surveys, tree inventories, ELC surveys, wetland evaluations (OWES), bat surveys
- Undertake all aspects of SAR assessments
- Support and assist project managers / other staff, as needed and consistent with the overall objective of NSE collectively providing the best service as was can to clients
- Deliver high quality services on time and within budget
- Continuous skill development through professional development (e.g., mentoring) and learning from those around you to develop your career
- Contribute to company initiatives
- Contribute to the general running of the office
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Ecology, Biology, Environmental Studies or similar field
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant experience preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, policy documents and acceptable field survey protocols
- Sound knowledge of Ontario species and habitats
- Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, time management skills, and be fluent in use of standard Microsoft Office software.
- Work within a team of ecologists that share, learn and mentor each other
- Continue to develop your skillsets and gain experience, including:
- Technical expertise
- Project Management
- Client liaison, management and business development
- Company development – helping to enhance NSE and the success of the team in pursuing our career interests.
The successful candidate will be expected to be comfortable working within a small office (8-10 people), working as part of interdisciplinary teams with external team members (e.g., project partners and sub-consultants) and problem solving within the context of ecological work.
Pay will be commensurate with experience and capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities, consistent with being able to fulfil the duties of the position. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and covering to:
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and covering letter to:
Mirek Sharp and/or Sal Spitale
NSE Office Location:
35 Crawford Crescent, Suite U5, P.O. Box 518
Campbellville, Ontario, L0P 1B0